Master mover and shaker David Piccioni started slyly DJing in 1985 by playing at the Liverpool parties he frequently organised, finding it was much less hassle and cheaper for him to play rather than employ a DJ!
In 1986 Dave moved across the pond to New York and experienced some quality early house moments at his regular haunts ‘Better Days’ and ‘The Paradise Garage’. Piccioni began djing at Black Market’s successful house club only a year later and from there was then asked to play house to a new audience of New Yorkers in the huge ‘World’ club on the Lower East Side. David’s popular but underground Saturday house music night was quickly joined by Frankie Knuckles on a Friday night and David Morales / Larry Levan on a Thursday. Piccioni spent five years absorbing the NYC club scene playing `The World`, and later the ‘Red Zone’ with Morales before moving back to the UK. He took over ‘Black Market Records’ shop and utilised his US experience to the maximum in founding the Azuli record label.
Azuli has now released over 150 singles including The Face’s ‘Needing You’ and Afro Medusa’s ‘Pasilda’ and several albums. Currently David is resident DJ at London’s ‘Vertigo’ (The Cross) and regular overseas gigs include ‘Alter Ego’ in Verona, Italy and ‘Echoes’ in Riccione, Italy, as well as tour dates for the Ministry Of Sound in London & Ibiza. We spoke to David Piccioni, to find out more…
LL: How is Ibiza going this year for you?
DP: “Every year is different, there’s lots of great small parties around this year!”
LL: What kind of craziness have you encountered so far?
DP: “A guy dressed as Superman jumped from the ceiling in DC10 – Unless it was really him? Not sure!”
LL: Seen any Balearia?
DP: “What’s that?”
LL: What are your big Beefa tunes?
DP: “It’s a bit crap in that respect, nothing much new really, Lee Cabrera, Junior Jack, E – Samba a little boring!”
LL: Where’s your favourite place on the Island (Ibiza)?
LL: How about a message for all the Ibiza party people reading this?
DP: “Don’t forget to breathe - In then out…”
LL: What’s Azuli doing in Ibiza?
DP: “We’re doing four boat parties on the Saturday’s over there, but only 200 people can fit on so we’re not advertising too much! Plus some parties at DC10 and at the smaller, more private venues, no big established events this year so it’s gonna be more fun! Azuli is also releasing the superb Ibiza Space album too…”
LL: Did Azuli’s success take you by surprise or did you know it was a nugget from the outset?
DP: “I started it just for fun really but now we’re in our 12th year and on our 172nd single… We were lucky I suppose, many labels started out in the early 90’s but aren’t going now!”
LL: Going back, how was the ‘Red Zone’ with Morales?
DP: “The ‘Red Zone’ was cool, it had a great booth! But ‘The World’ was much better (‘Red Zone’ opened after ‘The World’ closed!)”
LL: Do you think house music has exploded commercially and now it’s going back underground?
DP: “Absolutely! And that’s why many labels, clubs, magazines and DJ’s are finding it hard at the moment, but because we never left the underground we are still going strong! Big name DJ’s aren’t as important as they used to be and people are hunting for music rather than waiting to hear it on Radio 1, which has to be a good thing!”
LL: What do you like to do for a hobby?
DP: “I love flying kites, especially in Miami, it’s a natural high!”
LL: If you had to ask yourself an interesting interview question, what would it be?
PJ: “Why the *uck are you doin’ it? Of course I love music, all music…”
LL: Any other Azuli plans?
DP: “Just more ‘Choice’ Series in the wake of Kervorkian and Tenaglia, we have Tony Humphries and Louie Vega by the end of 2003!”
WHAT’S NEW WITH AZULI?
‘Azuli Presents Miami 2003’ 26/05/03 - A double disc of Azuli’s choice cuts from Miami, mixed live in the Azuli loft by Dave Piccioni.
01. Lee-Cabrera - Shake It (No Te Muevas Tanto) (Extended Mix)
02. Seamus Haji & Paul Emanuel Present 11th Dimension - Beat Goes On
03. Jay J - Keep On Risin’ (DJ Chus And David Penn Stereo Mix)
04. Sam La More - Takin’ Hold (Main Mix)
05. E-Funk Feat. Donica Thorton - Shout (Main Mix)
06. Bini & Martini Feat. Su’ Su Bobien - Say Yes
07. Work For Beauty - The Thing (Prax Paris Remix)
08. Big Moses Feat. Kenny Bobien - Brighter Days (Groovylizer’s Magic Interpretation)
09. Kevin Yost - Feeling (Dub Version)
10. Los Hermanos - Quetzal
11. Louie Vega & Jay ‘Sinister’ Sealee Starring Julie McKnight Present - Diamond Life (Jay ‘Sinister’ Classic Xtravaganza Mix)
12. Ben Watt - Lone Cat (Holding On) (Original Mix)
13. Emma Warren - Want You Back
01. Cloak & Dagger - The Boat (Cicada Remix)
02. Planet Funk - Who Said (Planet Funk Posillipo Mix)
03. Oscar G. & Ralph Falcon - Dark Beat (Murk Monster Mix)
04. Outta Limits - Mission Control (Ricky Montanari & Davide Ruberto Last In Space Remix)
05. Moonkat Feat. Ferank - Hear What Was Said (Vocal Mix)
06. Angelo Kortez - Twisted (AK Siren Mix)
07. Def E - Collective EP
08. Scanners (David Forbes & Mallorca Lee) - Shivver (Revisited Mix)
09. Jay Dee - Plastic Dreams
10. Djeep - What’s Come Over Me (Stefano Gamma Deep Vocal Mix)
11. Stephane Malca Feat. Kenny - Revolution (Mike Monday Goodman Remix)
Various Artists – ‘Tony Humphries: Choice - A Collection of Club Zanzibar Classics’ (Azuli Records) Album Out 03/07/03… A Collection Of Club Zanzibar Classics
01. Mass Production – Welcome To Our World
02. Hamilton Bohannon – Me And The Gang
03. Tongue ‘n’ Cheek – Tomorrow
04. Tyree – Hard Core Hip-House
05. Martha Wash & Todd Terry – Carry On (Tee’s Crazy Mix)
06. The Blackbyrds – City Life
07. Massimo Barsotti – Whole Lotta Love
08. Swing 52 – Color Of My Skin (Swing Remix)
09. Deodato ft. Camille – Are You For Real
10. Peter Godwin – Emotional Disguise
11. Stephanie Mills – You Can Get Over
12. Cher – Take Me Home (12” version)
01. LY – Back 2 Zanzibar (King Street Mix)
02. Sinnamon – I Need You Now (Tee’s Master Extended Mix)
03. Gypsymen – Hear The Music
04. Pointer Sisters – Happiness
05. Heaven And Earth – I Only Have Eyes For You
06. Happyhead – Digital Love Thing (LP Version)
07. Liquid Liquid – Optimo
08. Jimmy Castor Bunch – It’s Just Begun
09. CJ & Co. – Sure Can’t Go To The Moon
10. Mark IV – It’s A Mean World
11. Psychotropic – Hypnosis
12. Phalon – Dance Floor Of Life
13. Archie Bell And The Drells – Where Will You Go When The Party’s Over
Various Artists – ‘Azuli Presents Space Ibiza 2003’ Mixed by Smokin Jo & DJ Reche (Azuli Records) Double Album Out late 07/03
Space - Smokin Jo
01. La Fabirque Du Son - Fight To Be Free (Acappella)
02. Groove Armada - Easy
03. M Factor - Come Together
04. Dutch Featuring Crystal Waters - My Time
05. E-Funk - Shout
06. Jestofunk - Disco Queen
07. DJ Chrome - Who’s Crying Now
08. Powers That Be - Planet Rock
09. John Ciafone - Everyday (DJ Gregory Remix)
10. Murk - Alright (Callea & Rispoli “come rich two” Remix)
11. Southmen - Funky Feeling
12. Jesse Presents Tribal Spain - Tarragona
13. 6 Thirteen - Pure Colombian
14. Tania Vulcano - Come On
15. Sessomatto - I Need Somebody
Space - Reche
01. Timo Maas - Unite
02. DJ Pierre Vs David Morales - Make It Hot
03. Scumfrog - Music Revolution
04. Tomaz Vs Filterheadz - Sunshine
05. Double Dee - Shining
06. Ralph Falcon & Oscar G - That Sound
07. Shauna Solomon - You Can Get Over
08. Electronica - Coke Sex Drugs
09. Envoy - Nightmoves
10. Darkroom Dubs - Darkroom Dubs No.1
11. Bini & Martini - Say Yes (Murk’s Miami Vice Dub)
12. Outta Limits - Mission Control
13. Midnight Society Feat. Alan T - Space Jam
14. Nine Lives - The Voice